Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Training and Fundraising are Underway!

Well, here it goes; my blog, created to share the journey of training for the Boston Marathon.

I've been training for the past few months with the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge team as well as the Fitcorp marathon training program. At this point, I've run on Heartbreak Hill 3 times, although none of those occasions were at mile 16 after having run 10 miles downhill (which is what happens during the actual Marathon.) Heartbreak Hill is (I've been told) 4 miles of uphill ... that you hit at mile 16. Intense.

I'm fundraising for Dana Farber this time around because they've got a great training program and the money they will raise (with your help!), $4.5-5 million, is earmarked for basic cancer research.

Each year, they choose different cancer researchers to support and this year, one of them is a lung cancer researcher. You can go here to read about the kind of research he's doing. http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/ccp.asp?ievent=283893&ccp=86459. Click on the link that says "meet the Barr researchers" to read about specifically where your money is going!

OK, this is the end of my first post. It's just a taste of what's to come...
Sit back, relax and get ready to read about all of the sweating and freezing (training in the Boston winter, natch!) inspiration and perspiration I'm about to experience and expel, with all of you right beside me. Well, figuratively at least. Don't worry. You don't have to run.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment