Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I did it!



Sorry for the delay in blog posts. Work and the rest of my life suddenly got a little hectic and I couldn't blog as often as I wanted to... but I had to share a little moment with y'all since it's something I blogged about just a few weeks ago.

I finally ran a 5K in under 25 minutes! And... it was mostly due to the sage coaching advice of my friend Mike, also previously featured in this blog.

Just before the race started, he said he'd read my blog and knew I had this goal so he said "When you get to the first bridge, I know it's tempting to slow down but don't. This is where you have to pick up the pace. Don't start so fast and then pick up the pace between the bridges."

The point he was talking about is about a mile or so in, usually where I sort of relax from the fast start.

I'm usually catching my breath at this point, not speeding up, but I figured he's shaved minutes off of his time in 18 months. I'll take his advice.

It worked! I did it in 24:43, which was about a whole minute faster than two weeks earlier and 20 seconds faster than my previous best.

Woo hoo!

The race happens again tonight so we'll see if I can do it again. Last week was a reverse of the course, so I'm not sure. But I'll give it my best shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment