Friday, January 8, 2010

Team Lung Love!




When my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer and I learned about the shockingly low survival rates, the outrageously low funding for research, the seemingly inpenetrable stigma - I knew I HAD to do something.

I'd been running marathons with Team in Training, an endurance training program run by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, for years. They have a phenomenal program, and have raised over $100 million for LLS.

Lymphoma, as it happens, is one of the most curable cancers. Lung cancer is not. I thought, why can't lung cancer have something like Team in Training?

That was my dream, and now - two years after losing my mother to this awful disease, my dream has become a reality with Team Lung Love!

I've joined forces with the Lung Cancer Alliance and we've created the first ever endurance training program for LCA - with the inaugural team training to run and walk the full and half marathon on May 2nd in Providence Rhode Island.

So far, we've got a great group people who've committed to join the team - and we just opened our website to registration! But we need more!

Would you like to join us? Go to http://teamlunglove.kintera.org to learn more and sign up!

Help us save lives. Help us change hearts and minds. Get INSPIRED with us.

Join our team!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julia,

    I ran a couple of marathons with TNT, and I was very frustrated when my cousin was first diagnosed with lung cancer, but my first thought was that I would run a marathon and raise money for lung cancer research, and I was aghast when I couldn't find anything except a small 5k in San Diego. So, I was very please when we stumbled upon your event! I'm looking forward to the DC marathon. :) Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete