Friday, March 4, 2011

Team Lung Love Recap



It's been such a tremendously busy year for me both personally and professionally that I have been terrible at keeping up with this blog. That's a good thing really, because things personal and professional have been wonderful.

In the "professional" arena, I got a new job! So now I have to change my profile from "writes about saving money" to "writes ad copy for mega galactic brands."

I LOVE my new job. It's at this super creative ad agency in Boston where I work with a slew of tremendously talented people. And kind people. They're nice to each other because they're treated well and are happy. When I first started, they apologized for being "crazed" and "stressed" but their level of craziness was so zen-like, I was happy to relax into their universe.

I'm learning a lot because its a slightly different take on what I normally do, but that's actually one of the best things about the job. I've been writing my entire professional life - since I was 20 years old - and I think if I never changed, I'd be terribly bored. So I welcome the challenge!

In my personal life, which primarily consists of lung cancer advocacy, things are also FANTASTIC. After the launch of Team Lung Love last May in Providence, we have now done THREE marathons and raised over $150,000. Not bad for a first year of a pilot program with a skeleton staff.

The video above is a slideshow of our Philly Team. It shows the people we ran for and our teammates...

This year, we are doing 3 more events - Providence in May, Marine Corps (DC)in October and Philly in November.

Everyone who joins the team seems transformed by it - by the simple act of reaching out to others to try to help change this disease and then crossing that finish line.

Running marathons to raise money for a cause isn't a new idea. But seeing people with the words "lung cancer" on their t-shirts is.

It's breathtaking to watch and I have been so proud of the ordinary people - all of them personally touched by the disease - who have accepted the challenge of Team Lung Love.

Do you want to accept the challenge?

Visit www.teamlunglove.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment