Friday, May 15, 2009

So many lung cancer advocacy groups...

Last night, one of our fabulous Boston lung cancer advocates, Meryl Bralower, invited a group of us into her home to meet with Susan Mantel and Gretchen McGarry of Uniting Against Lung Cancer, formerly known as Joan's Legacy, to see what we might be able to do together in our community to raise awareness and/or money for lung cancer.

A few weeks ago, I traveled to Dallas for the National Lung Cancer Partnership's 2nd annual Lung Cancer Advocacy Conference.

In late June, I'll be helping to create a lung cancer booth at the Boston Health and Fitness Expo with the Lung Cancer Alliance - as well as working on the 2nd annual Shine a Light on Lung Cancer Illumination Vigil in November.

In November, Boston has a Lung Cancer Walk, which benefits Lungevity, another lung cancer foundation, and I'll be attending that.

Recently, I was telling everyone about the new OPI nail polish "Breathe Life" which was the result of the hard work of a California-based group called The Lung Cancer Foundation of America.

My dear friend and fellow advocate Lori Hope is on the board of a fantastic lung cancer organization based in the San Francisco area, one that has done a large public awareness campaign about CT screening, the Bonnie Addario Foundation.

Another friend and advocate, Tracy Sestili created a foundation in memory of her mother, The Beverly Fund.

And really, there are many, many others.

When it comes to lung cancer advocacy, there's no shortage of worthy, well-meaning organizations and foundations to support. The difficult part is choosing one to stand behind. To be honest, I really don't want to have to "choose" one. I intend to support as many as I can, in different ways.

But at the end of the day, I have a concrete goal, which is to raise at least $100,000 for lung cancer research in the next 12 months. Sadly, I can't get them all to work together, so I'll have to choose one or two for which I will actively fundraise and focus my energies.

It's a tough decision. I'm trying to do due diligence. I'm researching different organizations. I want to support a mission that my mother would have stood behind. I want to be practical and make sure I'm not setting myself up to work alone in an uphill battle.

I know I'm not going to please everyone. I hope the ones I disappoint understand.

I will be seeking guidance from my mentors and friends, and I will pray to my mother to help me make this decision. I know one thing. I can't stand back and "want" to raise money for lung cancer. I have to do it, and soon.

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment