Monday, March 9, 2009

18.3 miles

I did my penultimate longest training run this weekend, 18.3 miles. I ran with the Fitcorp group, from the State House to Chestnut Street in Newton and back.

After a grueling winter, we were blessed with fantastic Spring-like weather so the run was in 55 degree temps, perfect for running. It gave us a taste of what Marathon Monday might feel like. All winter long, we've been training in freezing, snowy temps, but the likelihood of that kind of weather on April 20th is pretty slim. It could be anywhere from 40-80 degrees. How's that for unpredictability?

I'm happy to report that Saturday's run was pretty uneventful. Except that my friend Lisa, who's been battling some pretty intense knee injuries all season-long, was able to do the entire 18 with me! And another good thing is that this run, like the most of the other long runs was done at my "goal" pace for Boston which is about a 10-ish minute mile. My goal is to complete the marathon in about 4:30. Since it's Boston and the hills are pretty killer, I will be happy just to finish, but I'm at least at the target that I'd like to be at now, which is comforting.

We did run on Heartbreak Hill, like we often do during these runs, but at around mile 9 of our run - not 19 as it will be in April. At mile 18 of Saturday's run, when I was climbing up Beacon Street towards the State House finish, I definitely felt the pain, the burn, and could contemplate "hitting the wall" - but luckily the wall was so close I was able to stop just before hitting it.

Hopefully, I'll be able to run through that wall on April 20th. It always comes, and that's where the mental part of marathoning comes into play. Once you've done 16 or 18 in a training run, 26 really isn't that much further, physically speaking. 21 is even closer (and we're doing 21 in three weeks!) So getting to the finish line of Boston will really be all mental after about mile 18... as it always is. Luckily, I'll have the support of friends and family as well as the people I'm running for to get me through - and of course, my mom.

One thing that's definitely happening how - which always happens to me and usually to a lot of women training for marathons - is that although my running mileage is high, I feel as though I'm putting on weight. It seems crazy, but it's true. So I'm going to try altering my diet a little bit so I can shed a few pounds before April 20th. If I can be just a little bit lighter (like 3-4 pounds), the run will be a little bit easier.

Anyway, not too much else to report in terms of the run. Made it through, only a teeny bit sore, and can't wait for the next one!

In other news, I'm going to MGH this Wednesday night for my monthly PFAC meeting (Patient and Family Advisory Council) and we're making a special trip up to Phillips 21, which is the floor that my mother was mostly treated on, and where she spent her last days. When she was there, it was just a private floor, but it's since been re-dedicated as a cancer ward and the nurses want to meet us, since we're PFAC for the Cancer Center. It's probably going to be hard to be there again, but in some ways, I think it's important to revisit that place and it will give me a chance to remember and honor my mom. In a strange way, it might be comforting, since it's the last place I spent time with my mom- and spent so much intense time with her literally living side by side in Phillips 2120.


OK... back to the grindstone. For those of you who are reading this, I didn't send new fundraising emails yet -but I will! Running 18 took all of Saturday and Sunday was all about grocery shopping for this healthy new eating regime I'm going to try...

I'm not worried though. I know my "peeps" are going to come through.
:)

Love,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment