Monday, March 23, 2009

Sonya Kicked my Butt!


Saturday, I ran 12 miles with my friend Sonya, who I met when my mom was in her final weeks at Mass General. By that time, she couldn't speak, couldn't eat and was pretty uncomfortable, to say the least. There was little that brought her comfort, but of course, people wanted to bring her something... do something to make her feel better.

Her co-workers asked if there was something she might like, so I suggested a manicure and pedicure, not really knowing how that would materialize. The hospital wouldn't let her leave her room and I couldn't find anyone who'd come to her room. Mom had always had gorgeous nails and I knew that she'd enjoy some pampering. Denise Hurley, one of my mom's co-workers, somehow found Sonya Pelletier, the most compassionate, sweet, nurturing aesthetician who just so happens to specialize in healing treatments, particularly for the very ill, who otherwise can't get out to the salon.

Mom definitely fit that category.

I can safely say that the afternoon that Sonya spent with us was one of the best she had in the last month of her life. She did mom's nails (and mine!) and was just so soothing and kind... she stayed for 4 hours, and even some of mom's other co-workers who'd stopped by at their lunch hour stayed for hours longer than they'd planned to because it was such a special time.

Well, that's how Sonya and I met and since then, we've become great friends! We discovered that we have a lot in common, including running! We've done some races together and a couple of long runs, and even though she's been too busy to train for Boston, she's contemplating jumping in as a bandit and decided to do the 12 miler with me.

Let me just say that Sonya's marathon PR is 4:10 and mine is 4:53, so she's a little bit faster than me. She has a definite "can do" attitude, so I wasn't going to slow down - or slow her down! I knew it was "only" 12 and not 18, so I decided to just go for it and run faster than I normally do.

Well, I ended up beating my best ever half marathon time on a MUCH hillier course than any half marathon I've ever done, and almost did as fast as my fastest 10K pace. She kicked my butt! I will say, that the final hill up Beacon Street by the State House.. well, my hill training worked and I barreled up that one before her. But without that hill, she would have murdered me - and that's with practically no training, compared with my dilligent months of training.

I'm psyched because it gave me some confidence that I can do that pace for that length of time. And, of course, it was fun to run with her. Gorgeous day, beautiful route that she'd never run. It was bliss.

We've been SO lucky, weather-wise. Even though it was a snowy winter, the Saturday runs have been mostly brilliantly sunny (if a little cold) and absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait for Marathon Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment