Thursday, June 25, 2009

Good Times!



Every Tuesday night in the summer, there's a super-fun 5K race series in Lowell called Good Times! Their logo, which also doubles as their "medals" in the form of coasters, is above.

I found out about the race series last year from my friend Mike, who I met at another 5K in Lowell, Lisa's Run for Lung Cancer.

Mike's intensely into running - so much so that even though I beat him in that first 5K when we met, in the year and a half since, he has surpassed me to a level that I will probably never reach.

I can't seem to break 25 minutes. Mike is now in the 22s, I believe. And he's older than me! Granted, he's taller than me. Much taller. And he's male. And has the typical runner's build. But still.

But one thing Mike does that I don't? He works at it. I mean he really works at it. I just show up and hope that osmosis is going to take my time down below 25 minutes. It sort of worked that way when I went from 27 minute times to 25 minute times. But I think my luck has run out. I need to do some good, hard work. And I'll do it. When I'm good and ready.

But the Good Times race series is so much fun because they have silly themes that people really get into.

Last week, at about the 1 mile mark, there were ten 12" X 12" boxes that were all empty - except one mystery box that held $100. If you were brave enough (and if there were any boxes left), you could grab a box and carry it the remaining 2.1 miles to take a chance on winning the loot.

Now, you might think it's a no brainer, that of course you'd take the money and run. But with so few boxes, only the fastest runners get there first - and those fast runners are pretty competitive people who don't want to ruin their times. For them, that choice is a struggle. That's why the race is actually called "The Temptation 5K."

By the time I got to the 1 mile mark, all of the boxes were gone, so I didn't have that struggle. But I know what my choice would have been: Screw the box! I can barely carry myself, let alone a bulky box!

The woman who won is actually a very cool woman who I've met many times and I couldn't have imagined the $100 going to a better person.

Next week is Classic T-shirt week, whatever that means to you, and they'll be giving out prizes for the best t-shirts.

After the races, everyone hangs out for cheap beer and $1 pizza and the gazillions of raffle prizes on offer.

I never really thought I was going to be the kind of person who did 5K races every Tuesday night. In my early twenties, with martini in hand, teetering on 4-inch stilettos, I would have blown smoke in your face and laughed.

But as we age, our priorities change. I really love this series, even though I'll never win. But the great thing is, they give prizes if you beat yourself, if you obtain a personal record (PR, in running terms.)

My PR for the 5K is 25:04. At some point this summer, I will do 24:59. I just might have to work at it a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment