Monday, June 15, 2009

Scenes from The Bunker Hill Day Parade



In the 11 years that I lived in LA, I don't think I watched one parade. Oh wait. I did see one, but I had to go to Huntington Beach, so that doesn't count.

In New England, you could see a parade every weekend if you wanted to, they're that common. For me, though, they're still a treat that's as rare as fried clams so when I found out there was a parade marching right through my 'hood, I was all over it.

The Battle of Bunker Hill Parade commemorates the bloody and fateful battle that took place 250 years ago, literally steps from my condo.

It’s a nice parade, filled with tons of Revolutionary War re-enacters and pretty awesome fife drum bands as well as our own current navy band marching in full uniform.

One thing I had forgotten about in terms of parades is how much politicians love to march. Everyone from Mayor “Mumbles” Menino to our state rep Geno Flaherty took part, and one other character who didn't quite fit.

Yup. Chewie marched in the parade. Maybe they were trying to say that if the force had been with us, we would have won that battle. Not quite sure about that one.

Other various and sundry Charlestown characters marched or floated through, including some war widows and Gold Star Moms, which are mothers who have lost sons in a war. This woman wasn't part of either of those floats, but she must have done something good because she looks like she's been through a lot.




The day actually began with me running the Battle of Bunker Hill 8K race, which has a very challenging hill 2 miles in and ended with impromptu grilling of steaks with Chuck, my dad and Chuck's daughter Polly.

All in all, a great day of Americana, with road races, parades and bbqs - oh, and the Red Sox game was on in the background. Doesn't get more American than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment