Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ultimate Boot Camp!







Yesterday I started my first boot camp class of the season. Boot camp is actually Ultimate Boot Camp, a Boston-based company I found last year when I first moved back to the city.

I was looking for a way to meet people and get some regular exercise, and it fit the bill in both departments. I did boot camp last June through September and it looks like I'll be doing the same thing this year!

Last year, I started classes on the Boston Common in June because the Charlestown class was full. That was fun because I got to work out in Back Bay and Beacon Hill - gorgeous neighborhoods that I can't quite afford just yet. Then, for July,August and September, I worked out in my 'hood, Charlestown, just a 10 minute walk or 5 minute drive away (depending on how late I sleep in.)

We primarily work out in Paul Revere Park, a beautifully landscaped outdoor space just across from the famed Zakim Bridge. We often move over to the docks in the Navy Yard which affords stunning morning views of downtown Boston and sometimes we go up to the Bunker Hill Monument, another scenic vista.

Boot camp is Mon-Thurs mornings from 6-7. It can be a challenge to wake up at 5:30 every morning and it takes some adjustment initially, but I love the fact that I get to spend time outside almost every day even though I work a 9-5 job. I love that exercise is done by 7am (unless I want to go for a run after work) and I love meeting new people, often neighbors.

Last year, I met three girlfriends at boot camp, and if I can meet three more friends this summer, I'll be very happy indeed.

Oh, and the instructors, John and Emily, happen to be my next door neighbors, so I can't get away with too much of they'll be knocking on my door...

No comments:

Post a Comment